Thursday, September 17, 2009

Memoires Of Another Day - Arun Roy Mukherjee

I was then a boy of three or four. quite heavy, slow in movement and otherwise very calm. Finch Mama ( my maternal uncle ) who was my age, was lanky, very agile and prompt, on the other hand. My Didima (Maternal grand mother) purchased me a Dholok. I could somehow bring out a sound of it, but Finch Mama, even at that age, could play and bring some rythmic sound out of it. He would snatch it from me and play on it. I would nag him to give it back to me. Disturbed, hr would jump into a nearby cot, sit on it and play the dholok. I could not climb up the cot. I used to stand by the side of the cot and go on nagging. He would say to me "You get into the cot and I will give you the dholok".Then somebody passing by, my mother, my Dadu (maternal grand father) or any of my other maternal uncles would put me into the cot. I would sit there and start nagging. Disturbed again Finch mama would jump out of the cot , sit on the floor and start playing the dholok. I would sit on the cot and go on nagging, because I could not get down by myself. He would say tome " you climb down by yourself and I will give you the dholok, I pormise." Somebody else had to put me down. After some time Finch mama would give the dholok back to me. And go his own way. I tried to play but could never play it like him.

No comments: