Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Memoires of another day - X - by A. Roy Mukherjee

X : Bhola Da was my father’s orderly at that time and he stayed with us. One day he told us that a "Jatra" would be held at a nearby place. In those days Jatras used to start at : around nine or ten at night and used to continue till the early hours of next morning. I became very enthusiastic and begged my mother to allow me to go along with Bhola Da to the show. Bhola Da also ensured my mother that he would take proper care. So, that night, I accompanied by Bhola Da went for the show. The play was something about Ramayana. I do not now remember what I saw or listened there, but what is still etched in my memory is that particular scene when Ravana appeared on the scene. One glance, I squeezed my eyes shut and started crying in fear. "Take me home, Bhola Da. Take me home." were the only words on my lips. But Bhola Da was, by then, totally engrossed in the show and was just asking me to keep quiet. But the moment when Ravana drew out his sword and jumped on the stage, a loud wail came out from me. Bhola Da had no alternative but to take me home because other spectators also urged him to take me away.

No comments: