Thursday, October 29, 2009

Memoires of another day - XI by A. Roy Mukherjee

XI : It was a stormy night. My father along with Bhola Da was out of station. After dinner we went to bed in our first floor bedroom. On that side, there was a paddy godown beside our house. It was probably past midnight when my mother woke me up. It was still raining and wind was also blowing at some speed. The room was dark except for the dim light coming from the dimmed kerosin lamp kept in a corner. Mother asked me by sign to keep quiet. Then she told me that a gang of dacoits had broken open the paddy godown and are plundering. Mother took me in tiptoe to a window and slightly opened it to have me a glimpse. I saw that the only guard and the manager at the godown were lying on the veranda tied in ropes. I also could see the dacoits taking the paddy packed in gunny bags and were putting those in carts. Then my mother closed the window carefully and we came back to our bed. I still remember that I did not feel afraid or scared but could not sleep for a long time.

No comments: